About the group
The GH BFW Support Group is to support the members of the Haemochromatosis Society and other patients living in Blackpool and the surrounding areas
We do this by providing a link to the Society, an opportunity to meet regularly; offering a listening and understanding ear, a platform for members to talk about their fears, discuss treatment and diet; to ask each other questions that we forgot to ask at a clinic appointment; to suggest and receive ideas on how to cope on a “bad day”. The gift of our time is the most precious thing we have to give.
The support group offers help and encouragement because after diagnosis, it is quite common to feel alone. Haemochromatosis is not well known generally, but being aware that there is someone or somewhere those effected can go to talk, really helps.
The aims of the Support Group are to:
- Support and care for members living in the region.
- Provide a link to the Society.
- Maintain links with health professionals.
- Encourage mutual support and friendship.
- Share information and experiences.
- Raise awareness of haemochromatosis.
We are affiliated to The Haemochromatosis Society, the national patient organisation.